One of the many good things about being natural is the versatility. You can wear your hair bone straight today, and naturally curly tomorrow. It has become easier to go from curly to straight hair without using a relaxer, but what are the options to go straight?
- Flat Iron It
You can always use a flat iron to achieve the straight hair you want, but you need to be careful with the kind of flat iron you use.
- Plate Material – A cheap flat iron with metal or glass plates will work, but they create uneven heat. Look for flat irons with ceramic, titanium, or tourmaline plates.
- Width – A Flat iron with thinner - about an inch in width - is required for short hair. For longer, thicker, really curly hair, a wider plate will do better, at least 2 inches wide.
- Adjustable Heat Setting - For less curly, thinner hair, a lower heat setting will get the job done, but if you have kinky, curly, frizzy hair, a higher setting may be for you.
- The head of a rat tail comb may be used to ensure proper distribution of the heat while using a flat iron.
- A keratin treatment also falls in the flat iron category. A keratin treatment is when a stylist applies a keratin hair-straightening product to your hair and then uses the heat of a flat iron to seal it in. The process takes about 90 minutes or longer, depending on the length of your hair, and can last up to two months.
- Hot comb it
- Using a hot comb for hair straightening has become more and more popular as more women are opting to wear their natural hair. Hot combs have also become more sophisticated. They come in all shapes, sizes, and settings.
- Blow It Out
- A blowout should be done by a professional. Blowing out your hair is not the same as blow drying it. A blowout get your hair straighter, and the process takes longer. When done right, a blowout can keep the hair straight for a long period of time.
Keep in mind that a good heat tamer protective spray is required whenever your hair is exposed to heat to protect your hair against any heat damage. I love TREsemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Protective Spray. You can feel it working as soon as you apply it to the hair. Whether you blow out your hair, hot comb it, flat iron it, or Keratin it, proper shampooing and conditioning is always required to achieve a glossier, more beautiful, and straighter hair do.