I stopped blogging and opened my first Ebay store selling women clothes, which was very successful. My customers stopped buying my products after the economy went down in 2008. I started blogging again in 2012, and I have been blogging ever since. There are five things that I wish I knew before I started blogging. Then again, I had to start blogging in order to learn them.
- Never write your posts at the last minute* If you can, have a list of possible topics to choose from for your blog posts. Even if you don't have time to research the topics, at least you have an idea of what you want to talk about. I am still guilty of that. Sometimes even if I have the topic, I still wait until Sunday night to write Monday's post. Actually, I am getting better at this; I used to write my posts the same day between 10 and 12 PM. Having your posts ready the day before gives you ample time to edit them.
- Share your posts to different social media networks** While some readers will share your posts if they like it, It is your responsibility to share your posts first. Do it as soon as you publish your posts so you don't forget later. Click here if you don't already have sharing buttons on your blog. I can guarantee you that if you share other bloggers' posts, they will share yours, too. If you believe in Karma you know what I am talking about: "Do onto others what you want to be done onto you." Or " What goes around comes around." Whichever way you want to put it:-)
- Comment on other bloggers' posts*** I know you may not agree, but blogging is a give-and-take kind of platform. Don't sit there and expect other bloggers to comment on your blog when you are not doing the same for them. Commenting is a great way to promote your posts and encourage other bloggers to comment on your blog. By commenting on other blogs, you are letting other bloggers know that you exist, that you have a new post, that you need their participation.
- If you like a blog, follow it****Always leave a comment when following a blog. Let the owner know that you are following her/him. You can nicely ask for a follow back, but keep in mind that the other blogger may not like your blog, and is not obligated to follow you back. I think that the best way to show support to a fellow blogger is by following them first, or following them back if they follow you first. You may loose followers if you don't follow back.
- Let your visitors know where they can find you***** One of the biggest mistakes that I made when I started my blog was not installing Follow Buttons on my blog. I know that I have gotten a lot of Instagram followers since I installed my little Instagram widget on my sidebar.
What have you learned from blogging that you wish you had known before you started?