- Not Wetting our hair enough - Not wetting our hair enough can cause us to use more shampoo than necessary, which can result in dryer hair and scalp. That can be avoided by wetting our hair completely before applying our shampoo. It does not only save us money, by allowing us to use less shampoo, it also stops us from stripping our hair of its natural oil.
- Applying our shampoo on the same spot every time we wash our hair - If the top of your scalp is dry and flaky, it is because we apply our shampoo on the same spot every time we wash our hair. Start shampooing at the top of the nape of your neck and let it travel to the top of your head, says hairstylist, Mario Russo.
- We create too much fiction - Massaging your scalp with your fingernails can be damaging to your hair and scalp. Using your fingertips or your palms can fix that problem.
- We use too much hot water - Lukewarm water is the best option when washing our hair. I know you probably heard differently, but lukewarm water is all you need to open up your hair cuticles. It also helps preserve color.
- Not changing our shampoo and shampooing too often - I am guilty of using the same shampoo for a long period of time. Over-shampooing our hair can also be a problem. Using shampoos containing too much sodium laureth sulfate too often can be detrimental to our hair. According to cosmetic chemist, Mort Westman, we should replace our shampoo at least every two months. Or we can use a clarifying shampoo once a month to avoid buildup from ingredients like silicones.
What hair problem are you dealing with on your healthy hair journey?