How to apply coconut oil as a regular oil treatment:
- Finger detangle your hair or use a wide tooth comb to get rid of knots.
- Apply the oil (warm or cold) from roots to ends while massaging the scalp.
- Braid or twist the hair if it is long enough.
- Cover your head with a plastic cap and let it sit for two hours.
- Or, you can cover your head with a plastic cap, wrap it with a good scarf and let it sit overnight.
- Shampoo your hair, condition it, and moisturize your hair as usual.
There are many other ways to use coconut oil on your hair, but the best way to use coconut oil is on dry hair (pre-wash) so the oil can easily penetrate the hair shaft. The best way for me may not be best way for you. I know women who mix the coconut oil with another oil because their scalp is sensitive to the oil. I love to use it before I wash my hair, and I have been getting good results so far.